Who doesn’t love warm, sunny days? For many, it means spending more time outside working, exercising, and making memories, but warmer weather may also bring unwelcomed issues like dehydration, heat exhaustion, and sunburn. Here are some ways to make healthy choices throughout the summer to support your overall wellness.
8 tips that will help contribute to your healthy summer!
PROTECT YOUR SKIN
- Use sunscreen with at least SPF 30 and UVA and UVB protection whenever you are outside. Make sure to reapply sunscreen every 2 hours especially if you are swimming or sweating.
- Cover up and wear a wide-brimmed hat, wear loose, lightweight, light-colored clothes that cover your skin which can help to protect against UV rays.
- Limit your direct exposure to sunlight and seek some shade, especially when the UV rays are the strongest between 10 am and 4 pm.
PROTECT YOUR EYES
- Protect your eyes from ultraviolet sun rays.
- When outside wear sunglasses that block at least 99% of ultraviolet light A and B rays.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day, even if you do not feel thirsty it is important to stay hydrated.
- Stick to the basics and consume caffeine-free and sugar-free drinks. Stay away from sugar-filled sports drinks.
- Signs of dehydration are headaches, muscle cramps, dry mouth, dark urine, lack of energy.
WASH HANDS OFTEN
- One of the best ways to protect yourself and your family from getting sick is by washing your hands for at least 20 seconds regularly. Clean hands can help to keep you healthy and prevent the spread of any viral or bacterial illness.
USE INSECT REPELLENT
- Protect yourself from insect bites. Several diseases like Zika, West Nile Virus, and Lyme disease are transmitted by insects.
- Use EPA-registered insect repellents while outdoors for the most protection.
INCREASE YOUR ANTIOXIDANT CONSUMPTION
- Eat 1 cup of berries a day to boost your intake of antioxidants.
- The antioxidants may help protect and prevent tissue damage and reduce the risks of age-related illnesses.
- Routines vary throughout the summer but withstand the urge to consistently stay up late during summer days.
- Adults need an average of 7-9 hours of sleep a night.
GET OUTSIDE AND EXERCISE
- Try to get outside and exercise when cooler temps are more likely, early morning or evening or find a shady area.
- Plan an active outdoor vacation.
- Pick one outdoor activity to do a day.
- Go for a bike ride
- Take a nature walk
- Go swimming
- Play some basketball, pickleball or tennis
Get out there and enjoy the summer warmth and sunshine. Make incorporating these tips into your summer routine a priority because you are worth it! My family and I are going to choose at least one outdoor activity to do together a day. What are you going to do? Take care of yourself this summer, stay safe and healthy all season long.
- American Cancer Society: org
Disclaimer: The information provided is for informational purposes only and is not intended to diagnose or treat any medical conditions. Nor is it intended to replace the advice or diagnosis of a medical professional. Individual results may vary.