February is not only the month of love and showing your loved ones how much you care but it is also designated as American Heart Health Month.
Heart disease is the leading cause of death in both men and women in the United States.
There are more than 600,000 deaths per year due to heart disease.
Don’t be part of the statistics!
What can you do about it?
- For starters; maintaining a healthy weight, exercising regularly, reducing your stress, getting annual check-ups (to monitor your cholesterol and blood pressure numbers) and eating a healthy diet are great ways to reduce your risk of heart disease!
- In theory, it sounds easy but implementing a healthy routine can be harder than expected. Having a support system can help you stick to your intentions.
What if you already have a form of heart disease?
- Incorporate the following habits to help decrease your risk of complications. Make changes to your diet; focus on eating a well-balanced diet full of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins.
- Start by reducing your intake of processed and fried foods. Why you might wonder? These foods are generally high in unhealthy fats and sodium. Limiting your sodium intake may help to keep your blood pressure within a normal range.
- Focus on eating foods low in saturated and trans fats and increase your intake of fiber. Fiber helps to lower bad cholesterol. Also, adding a serving or two of collagen hydrolysate to your daily routine helps protect the heart as well.
Let’s talk Collagen and how it can help you and your heart
- Studies have shown that collagen may help to reverse atherosclerosis because of its’ inhibitory activity on the release of platelets and platelet aggregation (2). Collagen fibers keep blood vessels strong and help to repair those that may be weak and damaged (1).
- Collagen may help to reduce inflammation and help to relax blood vessels – thus improving circulation throughout the body. Collagen gives our arteries elasticity, allowing them to continually expand and contract helping to maintain blood pressure and circulation.
Don’t wait, start making changes to your diet and lifestyle to reduce your risk of heart disease
- Grab a friend and go for a walk, share heart-healthy recipes with family and friends, make sure to get a good night's sleep and find ways to reduce your stress level whether it be through exercise or meditation. Take care of your heart, your future depends on it!
English, J., Cass H. The Collagen Connection. Nutrition Review Archive.
Song, H., Li, B. Beneficial Effects of Collagen Hydrolysate: A Review on Recent Developments. Biomed J Sci & Tech Res 2017 1(2).
Eric R. Braverman. The Healing Nutrients Within. 3rd California: Basic Health Publications, Inc., 2003.
Gersten Institute for Higher Medicine
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics; Heart Healthy Nutrition Therapy
I recently purchased both the beef bone hydrolysate and the collagen hydrolysate and I am very happy with the results. I started feeling better right away, didn’t get so tired in the afternoon. I noticed quite a difference. My skin looks much better too. I am really impressed with both your products. I received a request for a referral the other day and thought I would include it now after reading your email. Thank you for your email by the way, I have high blood pressure and it is always good to know your products are beneficial for the heart.